Learning a set of life skills that serve your basic needs. Developing the skills you need to handle the most common areas of human life – cooking, money management, etc. Working on your weak side so that you outgrow the problems that it causes.
+ Mature. Well-rounded. Worldly. Developing a range of life skills / personas that cater to the demands of life. Developing the discipline to work on your weak side, not just your strong side.
Negative – Undeveloped, Immature.
– Lop-sided self-development. Developing your strong side only. Ignoring your weak side & the issues it causes. Dislike or upset when life approaches you on your weaker side. Developing your spiritual side but failing to see that it is just one approach to life. Overly focused on spiritual matters and underdeveloped in other important areas. Ignoring practical life skills like money & financial management because you don’t class them as ‘spiritual’.
Cause of Issue – Suppression ( of Emotion )
The Botanical Archetype Aechmea relieves issues caused by the suppression emotion & your true self.
The flower of Self Development is about maturing as a human being. It’s about growing up.
Self development is really about body building. Building the mental body so you can make command decisions and building a robust emotional body that can withstand the knocks of life. The ultimate aim of self development is to flex spiritual muscle in the world.
In the practical sense, self development is about developing life skills that cater to the basic needs of human life. Too often self help focuses on lofty, ethereal and spiritual ideals and ignores the basic life skills you need on a day to day basis.
Self development is about building a solid foundation for life. It’s about matching a skill to your basic needs and the things you regularly have to deal with.
- Food & Water = Learning to cook. Sourcing pure water.
- Rest / Sleep = Regular meditation, resting & resetting the mind.
- Information = Reading, writing and studying.
- Money = Financial planning, investment & asset management.
- Society – Social and communication skills.
Personal Development, Developing Your Personality
Another way of looking at Self Development is personal development. It’s about developing a well rounded personality that can ‘face up to’ the different roles you play in life.
Simply put, your personality is the part of your mind that interacts with the outside world. The person you need to be in any given circumstance. This is why a well rounded personality is key to life. I.e. No weak or underdeveloped sides. Ie Money, objective thought, pragmatic thinking, leadership, etc.
Your personality is a bridge between the mind and the world. Personality is not to do with being extroverted or introverted. It has to do with ‘the face you show’ or ‘different hats you wear’ in life. Do you have a personality that is geared to money management? Do you have a persona that is geared to taking the leadership role? Are you a well rounded person who can face any challenge or do you face every situation using just one approach?
If the ego = fixed identity, then your personality = mobile identity. It’s the part of self that rises to respond to life from whatever angle it approaches.
In short, self development is about developing into a mature human being. Being skilled in a number of key areas and able to adapt to the various challenges of life.